Thursday, May 13, 2010

If I had the money...

I would buy a lock for my office door...thus keeping out little hands from playing with my craft things, and messing up my organized chaos!
I would get shelves for my office. I have to keep everything on the floor..of course this does nothing for the aforementioned little hands!
I would get the entry way finished...a railing would be nice to that when people come over...they do not expect to plummet to their death (And yes, Adam will tell you that if you fall you will crack your head open and die...hey don't judge me...it works!). Paint and mudding, flooring, storage for shoes, hooks for coats would be great too...but I have gotten to the point where I consider those things 'luxury items'
I would get closet doors...I would love to be able to hide the mess on the floor when people wish to check out the en-suite...It is so embarrassing having 'unmentionables' laying on the floor from the morning, and not expecting anyone to go into your room!! I have been caught more than once!
I would get blinds/curtains for all my windows! I finally got curtains for the living room 18 months ago (no more blankets there!) and just got some blinds for the doors...however the rest of the house has blankets, or sheets...or nothing. Privacy would be nice.
I would hire someone to finish the house so that I didn't have to wait for Ray to have the time/energy to do it (after spending all day drywalling someone else's place...the last thing you want is to come home and do yours!)
I would buy more shoes. Ray has more shoes than I do...I am very picky! But if I had the money...maybe I wouldn't need to be so picky.
I would throw away all the clothes I never wear. I feel like I am holding on to them just so my side of the closet looks full (It really would be so empty if I took down the maternity clothes!) and replace them with things that I think are funky...at the moment! Ahh that would be so nice!
I would buy accessories. I never do because it seems to be indulging...but I would love to do it! Then of course I would have to figure out how to wear them all!
I would get my hair done more than once a year. Yep...once a year a cut and color. It seems like such a hassle (and expensive!!) so get a babysitter, sit around for 2 hours, and pay someone $120...but I always come out feeling like a million bucks!
I would decorate my house. I have even done a course in it! I have visions of what I want, and where I want it...I have sketches of what it will all look like...but not the money to do it. We only just got a book shelf! Our 4 boxes of books (half of which I lugged over from Australia) were just unpacked a couple of months ago...6 years in boxes...so sad! And we still have stuff that I want on the walls, or on shelves...but alas my brain sees these a luxuries also.
   I would get a coffee table, a new bed...and a new mattress! One that doesn't make me get up in the middle of the night to crack my back!
I would get someone to landscape my yard...so we don't look like white trash. Although I don't know if anyone could make Ray keep his crap under control!! And I would have to stop dumping the garbage bags outside the front door, and actually take them out!

I could honestly go on and on...handbags (I LOVE bags!!) socks...I never seem to have enough...pajamas! It has been forever since I bought new ones...I think I have more pajamas than clothes! Books...I would go crazy on books. Hair things, cute clothes for the boys, stationary (I could live in Staples!). A Mac...I get very mad at my computer. I would get someone to do the companies book-keeping (so I didn't feel dumb).

But all in all, I have a warm bed, a husband who comes home each night (he may spend most of the night playing guitar, but he makes it home eventually). I have my boys to make me laugh and snuggle me, and kiss me when I am sad. 
Stuff can stay in boxes...people can continue to risk their lives by visiting out death trap of a house (it is true..missing vent covers...wires..lack of railings etc). But I have everything that I need :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Emily I totally hear you!!!! On pretty much every single one of your items!!! I loved your post, because even though life is crappy sometimes it's important to remember what really matters!

Amanda